Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Strange Australian

I have asked lots of Turkish people I have come into contact with about Izmir and the Izmirian family name. These people generally speaking are happy to talk to me but just don't know the answers. Not many know the history of Istanbul never mind some other city miles away. So I decide to head to people with knowledge. I went to the Istanbul Museum. It is a very impressive place. I was there as they opened the doors too be one of the first in before the crowds. It is the only place I have seen guards on duty. Not only on duty but caring machine guns.
From Turkey

From Turkey

From Turkey

Once behind this wall it opens out to some very spectacular gardens and a walk of 500metres up to another wall and gateway. You pay here to enter the Museum. Outside this gateway are personalise guides. Exactly who I was looking for and wanted to speak too. Ten Euros for 1 hour and tour. I approached the guides and spoke to Hussein who tells me he lived in Izmir for 4 years and speaks fluent English. I said I wanted to speak to him and would pay him for his services. We sat on a bench and spoke.

He was genuinely very helpful. I explained my attempt to find why Izmirian would be called this prior to the name of the city changing. He was telling me how people changed their names as a result of the changing dynamics of the country to avoid persecution etc. He could not find an answer as to why Izmirian existed pre 1923 when the city changed it name. Soon he called over all the other guides and there was much discussion amounst them. Six guides standing around and me sitting on a bench discussing Turkish history. Must have been a sight. I could tell by the scratching of the jaws and heads that this question was stretching them. They as a group suggested I go to Izmir and find the answer. I told them that sounds like a good idea and will do what they suggest. They all smiled and the discussion finished. Hussein suggested I get a ticket for entry and he was ready to take me into show me the national treasure and history of this truly remarkable building overlooking the Mediterranean. I told them I have what I am looking for and offered him 10 euro for his time. He said "No it is free for me." I headed back thru the approaching crowd. They all just shook their heads in amazement smiled and possibly thought to themselves, Strange Aussie or some derivative thereof. Nothing new in that thought.

2 comments:

  1. I like your blog.I'm waiting for your new posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely written post. I am going to Australia in coming weekend. I listened many good thing about it. Indeed, I am very much excited about this place. I hope that I will enjoy lot there.

    ReplyDelete