Thursday, April 23, 2009

Turkish Shave

I was feeling abit furry as I had not had a shave since leaving Australia. I wandered into a local barber to have a Turkish shave. Memet points to the chair and he starts to soap me up. He is 17 yrs old and does not speak English. I realise now he is going to preform the task. I have decided not to mention Izmir or Izmirian for once.
From Turkey

Memet gets out the cut throat razor and prepares to start shaving when all of sudden the front door opens forcefully and a male about 40 - 50 starts talking aggressively to Memet. He is obviously intimidated. The man leaves. Memet prepares himself again when the door opens again with another person. This is another customer Memet has had to turn away. Memet is now behind time. I am feeling apprehensive. Memet finally starts when a 3rd person comes in and it appears is happy to wait. Memet starts talking to this man in Turkish and waving his hands around at the same time. Right under my chin. I am now on edge. The shave comes to an end and feels great. Memet then pulls out an instrument that resembles a Kebab Stick. He wraps alot of cotton wool around the end of it and dips it into a liquid. He drags out a cigarette lighter and lights the cotton wool and we now have a serious flame coming off this thing. I mean up to 10 - 15 cm in height. Memet then puts his hands over my eyes. I’m thinking what the hell is he going to do with this. Memet then flicks the flame all over my face and into my ears. The flame is licking my face and yes the flame went into my ear. It was obviously to burn off any missed hairs. My eyebrows got a good singe. With that done Memet goes to a bottle containing clear liquid and fills his hands with it and slaps it all over my face. We have lotion going everywhere. This procedure is followed by a second lotion. I am now finished. Smooth but I am giving off an aroma that is foreign to me and extremely strong. My fleecy top also smells of this. I can best describe it as sweetly, rose like, overpowering and right under my nose. I get outside and I can finally breathe. I walk back to the Hostel and all the stray cats are looking at me. Oh my god it is Memets lotion. Everytime I stop moving the smell wafts up and gets me. How long is this going to last?

No comments:

Post a Comment