Sunday, May 10, 2009

Dating Samandag Style

As expected the social customs are very different here. You can not go on a date with anyone of the opposite sex. Fullstop. You can meet and greet people in the street and have general conversation in passing but you can not walk around together. You may be able to get away with a coffee or tea in a group setting but only once or twice. The following terminology was explained to me by a local 18 yrs old girl who was studying English overseas. The only reason we could have a tea together was she in company with her sister and brother, and I am a tourist. Tourists have different rules it appears. "You meet someone and he comes around to see my father and asks to marry me. My father makes enquiries in the community if he is a good boy has money, education, and a job. If my fathers says Ok it is up to me. If I like we fall in love (I could not quiet get this. sort of like taking a tablet.)and get engaged and set the wedding date. Once you are engaged you can go everywhere together like a couple. Hold hands and kiss. If it does not work out you get unengaged." This girl went on to tell me she has a boyfriend overseas and will not be returning here to live. Like most places, education is a way out.

No comments:

Post a Comment