Friday, May 15, 2009

Own Project

As I have mentioned I have been interested in the Middle East since childhood and in particular the Israel – Palestinian conflict. To me sitting in Melbourne Australia it makes no sense that so many people keep dying when a compromise on both sides would bring the death and destruction to an end. The world powers in particular America have a strong interest in this conflict and I don’t understand it from the information I am receiving via CNN, Al Jezzera or other media. I intend to understand this conflict better by the end of this trip. I went to the Palestinian Yarmouk refugee camp in Damascus.
From syria

From syria

I took with me a Palestinian taxi driver who could speak a little English. His name is Hamam. He lives in this camp. This camp is also has the office of HAMAS. I met up with the Taxi driver’s English teacher, Alm and we all spoke for a while in relation to the entire issue of Israel, Palestine, Hamas, Fatah, America and peace. This discussion went on for 3 hours. It was behind the black doors I posted recently. I was invited back to the teacher’s home in the Refugee camp for tea.
From syria

We sat and had Palestinian tea which is different to all the other teas I have had. The family were very nice and friendly to me.
From syria

They were surprised to have an Australian in their house for tea. There were photos all round.

No comments:

Post a Comment