Friday, May 22, 2009

Jordan to Israel

Vahe and Haig (Son) drove me to the border so that I could cross into Israel. They have been fantastic hosts and I will catch up with them again once I have spent a week or so in Israel. I caught a bus to go thru to the Passport control in Israel. The Israel border crossing is very very thorough. We had to get off the bus and show our passports. The bus was searched and we were allowed to continue. Get back on the bus and drive 1 km and get off the bus again. The bus is under constant surveillance with armed guards on high alert. Unlike guards at other crossings these guys were anxious and moving like an attack was imminent. Sorry to say I could not take any photos. Our bags were taken from us and put thru x-ray machines I suspect as we did not see where they went. We moved into another area and thru the normal metal detectors. They had a second machine that blew air on you. It was like a walk in cupboard. I suspect it was for explosive analysis. I stood in line to have my passport stamped. This took over 1 hour and I was about 6th in line. Each person gets a very intense interview. Whilst in line I adopted the less is best method of answers. "Why are you coming to Israel? Tourist. Is this the first time? Yes. How long are you staying? 1 week. Where are you staying? Don’t know Hotel. Do you know anybody here? No. Are you going to meet anyone here? No. How much money do you have? Show me your departure ticket. Are you a Christian? Yes can’t you tell by my smile? She let me thru after that. I had my Passport checked two more times and my bags checked thru a machine once more. Finally I was out and in Israel. I found out that the border closes at 11.30 am and we just got thru. I was lucky Vahe got me down there in time. I never thought about the border being closed.
From the border post to Jerusalem is a 40 minute drive in a minibus. The bus driver had a ten seat mini bus and was not leaving until he had 10 passengers. After standing around for about an hour in the hot sun we had 7 passengers. Then it was 8 passengers after another 15 minutes. Because the border was closed not many people were behind us. I suggested after sharing a banana with Richard and Rhonde from Calgary who have previously lived in Jerusalem and taught at St. Georges Cathedral, the Eight of us put in a few extra dollars each and we buy the remaining seats so we could go. I purchased the extra two seats; Richard and Rhonde re paid me and the majority didn’t. What happened to the Middle East I have been in?
At 3.30 pm we get into Jerusalem, Richard and Rhonde now run tours of the Sinai and suggested I stay at the St.George Hostel. Richard directed the mini bus to my location and we all got off. I could not stay there as it was booked out but Richard and Rhonde stayed with me until they found me a place. It is great of them to do that. It is alway great getting information from the locals or former locals.
From Israel

Once Settled in I had a quick look at the Old City but will return there tomorrow for a good look. The first thing that is impressive in the old city is the pavement. It is very solid and smooth with a shiny texture. The laneways are just full of shops and only 3 metres wide.
From Israel

From Israel

I did come across the Western Wall so I had a quick look but tomorrow I will have another good look. Some Jewish men had big hats and I will find out tomorrow why.
From Israel

No comments:

Post a Comment