Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Musa Dagh

I have been travelling all day today jumping from one bus to another. Travelling thru Turkey is very easy and they have a wonderful system of buses that are easy to understand. Effectively they run shuttles between major towns and you get on the next one. They leave every 15 to 20 minutes.
Main Street Samandag
From Musa Dagh

From Musa Dagh

I caught a shuttle up to Vakif and spoke to the old men there. English as a language is much more difficult to find here in Musa Dagh.
From Musa Dagh

From Musa Dagh

To the church to meet someone who could speak English
From Musa Dagh

A German Religious tour bus was in town and I spoke to their guides. I even rang Sam back in Melbourne to confirm some details as I did not have my notes on me. A crowd was beginning to gather. There is no accommodation or restaurants in Vakif, so I decided to return to Samandag and get a hotel. They don’t have hotels or ANY accommodation whatsoever in the town. You have to travel 4 Kms down to the coast to get the accommodation. Back on a bus and down to the best hotel here apparently. Again the people are just wonderful. The Old man who greeted the bus in Vakif paid for my fair and would not let me pay. He brought me a tea also. Again I was not allowed to pay. The local chemist in Samandag who could speak a little English closed his shop to walk me 500 metres to his friends shop who can speak good English. We were there for over 1/2 an hour organising accommodation and discussion how and if I could find a guide for me to climb Musa Dagh Mountain. The chemist walks me to a bus stop. On the way he tells me some startling news. Everyone wants to talk to me because I am different. He wants me to come tomorrow to his chemist. The bus drops me off at the door of my hotel.
From Musa Dagh

These photos are around my Hotel on the beach front.
From Musa Dagh

From Musa Dagh

From Musa Dagh

From Musa Dagh

1 comment:

  1. Those pictures are absolutely magnificant. Brilliant combination of winter and summer, some nice mountains in the background. Did you study photography somewhere? I especially like the first picture. Shows the true authencity of the place.

    ReplyDelete